Frequently Asked Contract Questions

How many Personal Necessity (PN) days am I allowed to take each year?

You are allowed ten (10) Personal Necessity days each year.


What happens to my unused sick days?

Your unused sick days carryover to the next year and will continue to accumulate every year as long as you do not use them all. Each year you are given another 10 days, or 1 day for every month of your contract, regardless of how many unused days you have on file.


When should I contact my site representative?

You should ask for union representation any time you feel that a situation or meeting could result in some form of disciplinary action, or if you are being accused of a crime. Your site representative can council you on your rights as well as contacting someone to help you. DO NOT say anything to anyone until your representation has arrived – it is your right.


Does the contract provide leave if there is a death in the family?

Yes, a maximum of three (3) days, or five (5) days if in excess of 500 miles of travel one way. This leave applies to immediate family ONLY. The contract specifies immediate family as mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, or grandchild of the employee or the spouse of the employee. It also applies to the spouse, son, son-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, brother, and sister of the employee. It can also include any member of your family that is living with you in your household at the time of their death.


Is there a provision for Maternity leave in our contract?

The district may provide for a leave of absence from duty for any teacher who is required to be absent from duties for pregnancy, miscarriage, childbirth, and recovery therefrom. The length of the leave of absence, including the date on which the teacher shall resume duties, shall be determined by the teacher and the teacher’s doctor.


What if I feel there is an unhealthy situation in my classroom or school campus?

The district agrees to respond within a reasonable time after the teacher notifies the district on a district form of an unsafe, unsanitary, or unhealthful condition and indicate the disposition, if any.


Am I required to work or attend a meeting during my lunch time? Am I guaranteed a break during the day?

Each teacher shall be guaranteed a duty-free lunch period of not less than 30-minutes each day. This period will be in a continuous, uninterrupted span of time as close to noon as scheduling permits. No employee shall be required to teach more than three periods or three hours (whichever is less) without a break of at least fifteen minutes. This break is to be in a continuous, uninterrupted span of time. No duties shall be required of any employee during this time.


What is the grievance procedure and when can it be used?

A grievance is an alleged violation, misapplication, or misinterpretation of such a specific provision of this agreement.

Before filing a formal written grievance, the grievant shall attempt to resolve it by an informal conference with the grievant’s immediate supervisor.

Within twenty days after the occurrence of the act or omission giving rise to the grievance or when the grievant knew or should have known of the occurrence of the act or omission giving rise to the grievance, the grievant must present such grievance in writing on the appropriate form to the immediate supervisor.

The immediate supervisor shall communicate a decision to the employee in writing within 10 days after receiving the grievance.

In the event that the grievant is not satisfied with the decision, the grievant may appeal the decision on the appropriate form to the Superintendent (or designee) within ten days.

For information past this point please contact your site rep.